|Location||Pargas, Lounais-Suomi, Finland|
|JurmoKapell at Turfgame.com|
JurmoKapell is a turfzone in the municipality of Pargas in the region of Lounais-Suomi (Southwestern Finland) in Finland. The zone is located in the county of Varsinais-Suomi and is counted as a holy zone.
For several centuries, Jurmo was a center for the population on the islands in the southwesternmost part of the Turku archipelago. Here, e.g. the inhabitants of both Aspö, Björkö and Utö for several hundred years buried their dead. For the inhabitants of Utö, this custom continued until 1962, when they built their own cemetery on Utö.
The first church stood on the highest point of the islet, also called Kapellbacken. From there, the church had to be moved when the sailors took the church tower for a beacon, with devastating consequences. In 1703, a chapel was built on the site where Jurmo's current chapel is located. Some time into the 19th century, that chapel had probably done its part: the people of Jurmo began to gather for worship in their homes instead. The construction of a new chapel became relevant, and the current chapel took shape in 1846 under the leadership of the carpenter Adolf Abraham Gräneback from Korpo.
Nearby zone is Jurmo.