Viggen and Draken
|Location||Linköping, Östergötland, Sweden|
|Trivia||Formerly called DragonZone|
|Dragonzone at Turfgame.com|
From Linköping take National Road 35 to Mörtlösarondellen and take towards Linghem. After about 4.5 kilometers turn left towards Vreta. After just over 1 kilometer, the zone is on the left side before the road goes under the highway.
A remote place, with some of the planes placed around Linköping to show the city's role as the country's number one aviation city.
Sweden's aviation capital
It is possible that the name was created for marketing purposes for Linköping, but there is something in the name as well. Flight school was started at Malmen Airbase as early as 1912 (one of Sweden's first). Östgöta Wing (nowadays there is only one helicopter flotilla).
Svenska Aeroplan AB (SAAB) was founded in 1937 and started its aircraft production in the city a couple of years later. Both the development and manufacture of aircraft are located in Linköping. Thanks to SAAB, Linköping grew strongly during the World War II and the Cold War. With SAAB, another airport was built in the city, Linköping/Saab Airport, which is shared by Saab and civil aviation.
The aircraft along the E4 from west to east
- BarrelZone: Saab J29 Tunnan and Saab J32 Lansen
- Sixtyzone: SK60 (Saab 105) and SK50 (Saab 91 Safir)
- 340Zone: Saab SF340
- Dragonzone: Saab AJ37 Viggen and Saab J35 Draken
- Airplane: Air Force Museum (many aircraft).
- SimuZone: Saab's southern entrance right next to Åtvidabergsvägen is a Saab J35 Draken perched on a pillar.
- Linkflyer: Linköping Airport and Saab's northern entrance.
- MalmenView: View of one runway at Malmen Airbase.
Other zones with aircrafts
- F6Staty A 32A Lansen as a gate guard at the entrance to Västgöta Wing in the municipality of Karlsborg in the region of Västra Götaland.
- FJS DC-3 Munin set up at the Swedish Parachute Ranger School old camp at Karlsborg Fortress in the municipality of Karlsborg in the region of Västra Götaland.
- TheDragon Saab 35E Draken on a pillar at the entrance to Luleå Airport in the municipality of Luleå in the region of Norrbotten.
- TriPlane J 32B/D Lansen, AJ 37 Viggen and JAS 39 Gripen A on the ground outside F 7 Gårds- och flottiljmuseum (in English: F 7 Yard and flotilla museum) at Skaraborg Wing in Såtenäs in the municipality of Lidköping in the region of Västra Götaland.
- Viggen72 Saab AJS 37 Viggen on a pillar at the rest area "Viggen", along National Road 44 in the municipality of Grästorp in the region of Västra Götaland.
- ViggenZone Viggen Olle 54 on a pillar in the municipality of Söderhamn in the region of Gävleborg.
All in Sweden.