|Location||Pargas, Lounais-Suomi, Finland|
|IniöKyrka at Turfgame.com|
IniöKyrka is a turfzone in the municipality of Pargas in the region of Lounais-Suomi (Southwestern Finland) in Finland. The zone is located in the county of Varsinais-Suomi and is counted as holy zone.
The zone is placed outside the village church of Iniö.
Iniö church Sophia Wilhelmina is located on the island Iniö which belongs to the city of Pargas.
At the parish meeting in 1790, it was decided that a new church had to be built as the old chapel was deficient and dilapidated. As the town had a shortage of timber, the new church was to be built in gray stone south of the older chapel on a hillside towards Norrby. Drawings for the church were ordered by the mason Johan Ahlström in Turku. To finance the construction, two collections were collected, one in the diocese of Turku in 1793 and one in the whole kingdom in 1800. They were approved at the Office of the Superintendent by the Court Superintendent Gustaf af Sillén in 1796 with certain amendments. The church was built during the years 1797-1800 by the church builder Mikael Piimänen.
The church is a long church with a narrower west tower, probably at the beginning with an onion dome, and a sacristy at the end of the basket. The external dimensions of the church are 20 x 11 meters, the tower and the sacristy are each 6 x 6 meters. The church was inaugurated on Midsummer Day 1801 by the bishop of Turku and Tövsala parish pastor Jakob Gadolin. The church was named after King Gustav IV Adolf's newborn daughter Sophia Wilhelmina, later known as the Grand Duchess of Baden. The cemetery on the south side of the church has been surrounded by a stone wall since the 1820s.
On Good Friday 1880, Iniö church burned so that the roof, tower and interior were completely destroyed. The county architect in Turku and Pori County, Carl Johan von Heideken, made drawings for the repair, which was completed a year later. The tower was given a lantern reminiscent of Turku Cathedral's tower hood. The entrance was given a neo-Gothic brick frame and above it a wooden plaque was erected which indicated the church's founding year. This was replaced in 1951 with a granite painting. The inner board vault was replaced by a gabled roof and the architect also planned the current pulpit.
An organ gallery was built in 1894 but demolished in the 1960s. The altarpiece, obtained in 1907, is painted by Wivi Munsterhjelm and depicts the worship of the shepherds. In the major repair in the years 1967-1968, the church received heat conduction and electric lighting. The organ was moved to a place next to the altar.
Nearby zone is Iniö.