Picture taken by Xtrmrunner
|Location||Kökar, Åland, Finland|
|KökarsKyrka at Turfgame.com|
KökarsKyrka is a turfzone in the municipality of Kökar in the region of Åland in Finland and it is counted as a holy zone.
This zone is placed by the Church of Kökar, on the northwestern part of the main island.
Church of Kökar
St. Anna's Church in Hamnö, Kökar in Åland is a stone church dedicated in 1784 to St. Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary. Kökar is mentioned in 1544 as a chapel under Föglö and became an independent parish in 1908. Since 2006, Kökar has belonged to Åland's southern archipelago parish, which also includes Föglö and Sottunga parishes.
Excavations at the site, where one of Finland's three medieval Franciscan convents - Kökar's convent - was founded, indicate that activities existed here as early as the 13th century. It is believed that the first stone church was built in the latter part of the 14th century and that the Franciscan convent took over the building in the middle of the 15th century. With the Reformation, the monastery was closed in the 1530s and the church and the other buildings fell into disrepair and a hundred years later the church was in such poor condition that it was abandoned. In 1645, a wooden church was built instead, and in 1784 the current stone church was completed, financed by two national collections and a large donation.
- KökarFerry (to the southeast)
- KökarBank (to the southeast)