Picture taken by Lazytraveller
|Location||Turku, Lounais-Suomi, Finland|
|KakskerranKko at Turfgame.com|
The seaside church is one of the three churches in the Turku Martin parish union. According to legend, the local fishermen got a surprise from the sea with a huge catch of delicious fish. They believed that the area was blessed, and the residents of the island decided to build their own church.
Kakskerta Church was built in between 1765 and 1769, and dedicated in 1770. It was designed by Christian Schroder, and is oblong in shape. The altarpiece is from the 17th century, and nearly the whole interior of the church was renovated in 1940 under plans by architect Erik Bryggman. The belfry was designed by C. Bassi in 1824.