Picture taken by FilleFilur.
|Location||Vaasa, Länsi- ja Sisä-Suomi, Finland|
|NicholasZone at Turfgame.com|
NicholasZone is a turfzone in the municipality of Vaasa in the region of Länsi- ja Sisä-Suomi (Western and Inner Finland) in Finland. The zone is loctaed in the province of Pohjanmaa and is counted as a holy zone.
St. Nicholas Church
St. Nicholas Church is the church of the Vaasa Orthodox congregation, which is located at the so-called Kasarmintori (barracks square). The church was designed by county architect Carl Axel Setterberg and was completed in 1862. The church was inaugurated by Metropolitan Isidor in 1866.
The layout of the church is a short gabled church with a central emphasis on the cross. It has a lower apse at the altar end and opposite it at the entrance end a lower and narrower antechamber with a top tower. The facades are structured by flat pilasters and numerous round-arched windows. The church hall is plastered with light mortar and the cross arms have high barrel vaults that rise directly from the floor level. The central dome partly rests on pendentives. Spatial planning follows the Byzantine central church tradition.
The church was damaged in the bombings of the Winter War and was repaired in 1959. The church was rededicated by Metropolitan Leo in 1962. After that, it was renovated at least between 1979 and 1980.
The iconostasis of the church was made in St. Petersburg in the 19th century. In the church are the icons of St. Seraphim of Sarov and St. Nicholas, as well as the burial icon of Christ, which was originally in the Orthodox garrison church of Bomarsund.
The area of the church is 170 m2. There are five bells in the church.
- VaasaBooks (to the north)
- VaasaTorg (to the northeast)
- Pitkäkatu (to the east)
- CarefulDrive (to the southeast)
- HospitalBeach (to the south)
- TailorGround (to the west)
- HunterZone (to the southwest)